Thursday, June 11, 2009

Full Moon Fever

The full moon, the ghost stories, the fireflies…that’s just a sample of what a Palo Duro Canyon State Park visitor will discover when they set out on a night hike along the Juniper trail.

As my transformation to granola girl continues, I along with Dale and Monty from KACV and Andy and Jude (my granola sons) documented the full moon hike that the staff of Palo Duro State Park provides during the summer months.

For our upcoming program, “The Natural Wonder of Texas: Palo Duro Canyon”, we captured Bernice Blesingame as she told 60 hikers about the “ghost horses” from the battle of Palo Duro Canyon. According to legend, campers can still hear the hooves and whineys of the Comanche horses that were shot by Col. Ranald Mackenzie and his men in 1874.

Maybe I will hear them too. I am going to spend the night in the canyon…in a tent, on the ground, no running water, no air conditioning. I’m still growing into my new “outdoor person” shoes, so I could use some advice on how to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment